Monday, April 2, 2007

Daffodils

Didn't they say it would be 70 today? It was all misty and cold this morning, no sunlight. And I was freeeeezing. But I couldn't help but notice that the daffodils, happy little faces, had finally appeared. And in my own yard, the tulips are just pushing through the earth, and many green things are appearing in the dirt (some are certainly weeds, but others are certainly plants I planted). I never know what will and what wont come back, it is all anticipation and hope, from here till summer, as each week goes by and I see who has made it, for those that do return, they come back fuller and more beautiful; and those that are lost, make me sad, and then do I replant, or plant something else, or decide that I shouldn't risk the life of anything green?

It is hours later and the sun is out now, and in honor of those little yellow flowers that will now be bathed in warm sunlight, that I am looking forward to driving past, I proceed.


by William Wordsworth

I Wandered Lonely

I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd
A host of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the milky way,
They stretched in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced; but they
Out-did the sparkling waves in glee.
A poet could not but be gay,
In such a jocund company:
I gazed-and gazed but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.

I will have my son recite this today, it has been awhile since I have had him read any poetry, in the past I made him do this one many times (for practice with his speech), he will complain to be sure, but it is so sweet, to hear his voice say these words. Speaking of him, it is time for me to go.

No comments: