Saturday, September 15, 2007

I remember when we were friends


When we spoke every day, sometimes all day, but we used less words to say things, because we didn't need them, we knew we understood each other. We felt comfortable and glad in each others company.
We didn't need to seek laughter out, it found us. It was us.
That was a long time ago.
That was college.
Now we live in different states.
We are both married and have kids.
We don't see each other for years at a time,
and when we meet, I am awkward and nervous.
I email you from time to time, wondering how you are.
And every once in a while, you will email me back and tell me.
And though I know I always will, I don't want to wonder how you are anymore.
Because I know there is no time, no space, physically or emotionally for me, in your life.

I remember when we were friends
and in my heart we always will be
I thank you for those days when you shared your world with me
and let me share mine with you
but now I know, it is time, for me, to stop knocking on a closed door.

No comments: