Wednesday, March 28, 2007

What the heck is wrong with me?

Why am I so unfriendly? Sometimes I like it when the phone rings, but often, not so much. I just had a fit because it rang, and I had to go answer it, and earlier today, not fully taking into account that my son was home from school, when the phone rang, I said, "who the heck can be calling? Whoever you are, I don't want to talk to you!". And then remembering myself, and my son, I said gently " I mean, whoever can it be? I'll get it". That time it was for my son, just now it was the husband (who always makes me run around the house during primetime, to try and answer the stupid phone, and then he says "I'm on my way home", and that is it, if I try to talk he says he has to go, drives me nuts. To some degree in my defense, our downstairs phone doesn't work right, the caller ID is currently unreadable, and when you push the button to answer it, 8 times out of 10 it wont pick up, so then I have to run upstairs to see who it is, and answer the phone. (once last week, I completely lost my mind, and picked up the phone automatically when it rang, and realized too late what I had done, (oh my God, what did you just do?) and was so apprehensive as I realized I had no idea who was on the other end of the line, turns out it was someone who didn't speak english, he kept asking me something (in spanish, I think), and I kept saying " I don't think so", it was a nice verbal loop, round and round, until finally we both hung up.) And if I bring the upstairs phone downstairs then I have to run downstairs whenever the phone rings, when I am upstairs. I hate the downstairs phone, when there is a message on it, it beeps until you get up, push the flashing button and listen to it, this is a special feature, one we can not figure out how to deactivate, one that makes me want to smash the phone.
But really, I should be happy when people call. What if no one ever called? Surely that would be horrible. Maybe it is because most calls we get aren't social, they are sales, and I don't know which is which till I check the caller ID. Even so I do have to concede that I am not very friendly, just this morning Husband was talking, talking, talking, repeating talk radio, while I was getting up and getting ready, and it was bothering me, (I like quiet first thing, I like to collect myself, or to listen to music), so as he was hanging around me in the bathroom, I looked straight at him, walked over to the toilet, and pulled my pants down and sat down (thinking ha that will teach him, he'll run for the hills), nothing, no break in his verbal flow whatsoever, (I think my jaw dropped into my lap, my reaction to his lack of reaction), so I had to just sit there and wait for him to finish talking and leave ( I had further entrapped myself with my attempt at escape), because really I prefer to pee alone. (so I guess it was like a stand off, or a staring contest, and I flinched first, I lost, he called my bluff, and I had to sit there and hear about Iran)

No comments: