Tuesday, March 27, 2007

so St. Patricks Day

Let's see if I can write this fast.
I found some prank ideas online, familyfun was good, and even the stuff that wasn't for me helped wake my mind up and give me other ideas.

Ugh, I was so tired that night, and the Husband and Son were watching a movie on TV downstairs. At 10 I was desperately trying to get him to get to bed, by 10:30 in bed, so I just had to wait for him to fall asleep. By 11, I was downstairs setting stuff up. The cat was following me around, meowing, and meowing. So I asked the DH for some help with cat. H- "what can I do?" M- "anything". Everything took longer than I thought it would, it always does. DH "what are you doing? You're nuts". I asked him to help me make the fake man, just to cut out the posterboard for the news paper, and glue it on. H "you don't need to do all this" M- "no, but I am. Will you please help me?". He did once I had rounded up everything, scissors and all and handed it to him. I had just finished downstairs a little after 1am and was about to go upstairs when Son woke up, heard him scurry down hall. I waited a few, went upstairs to check on him. When I went in his room, his eyes were open wide like someone in shock or terror; I think maybe he was worried it was a leprachaun opening his door. ( I did the mom stuff, got him more water, put his covers on him, told him to go to sleep, patted him, he is not a kissy huggy child). I'm like "Okay so now what? It is late, I am so tired, and he is wide awake", so I went to lie in bed for about a half an hour, while I waited for him to fall back to sleep (oh bed, so near and yet so far from it). And when I got back up, whenever I walked past his room, he would roll over, so, I had to scrap stuff (I was going to do in his room), and come up with other ideas. As I was doing them I was lamenting this whole idea, what a stupid way to spends one's time, like smacking one's head against a wall for entertainment, why why why.

At 6:30 am a crashing noise, and a gleeful child runs into my room (actually it was 5:30 am as I had turned the seven clocks in the house all ahead an hour) "Mom, Mom. They came! They came! And guess what, two cups of confetti just dumped all over me and the bathroom floor...and..and..." He chittered away and hopped around like a small bird. He wanted to go downstairs, but I said lets wait till 9. I always say this holiday mornings, at 6:30 as it feels my head has just hit the pillow, I don't know why I say it though, as all that happens is I spend an hour or two, being woken up every 10 to fifteen minutes, as my Son comes in and out of the room, begging us to get up, or telling us about something. When we did get up, he gave us the pranking grand tour. At some point he stopped to wash his hands, when he turned the sink on, the water squirted out all over him and the kitchen floor, Me- "turn it off, turn it off", Him- giggling hysterically; when this happened, my surprise was as great as his, having completely forgotten I had set this up. Most of the pranks aren't really pranks, they are just cute sort of things; like the battle of his toys, over a glitter Leprachaun hat, with little plastic policeman and cars, setting up a barracade to protect it (I wonder if he will ever lift up the hat and find the little green teddybear under it?). The rubber duckies floating in the table fountain, with numbers on the bottom, with sign-every one a winner, try your luck with a duck, (and silly prizes). Standard fare, plastic, and rubber insects in cereal boxes, bathtubs, et cetera. The big spider balanced unseen atop the milk carton, worked well. Fake foods, and fake spilled food. My Husband, actually really liked the fake man in the chair in the living room. It took my son forever to find the pot of gold, hidden in a planter, with a false top, and actual dirt on top, with rainbow painted mushrooms as the clue. The big SpongeBob on the toilet with the St. Pattys day green hat on, bathroom door closed, went over well with him, It was supposed to be upstairs, but I was afraid, my son might use the bathroom in the night, and not see before he'd pee. I should have had him with a wade of toilet paper in his hand, stretching out the roll, though. I do fake toothpaste, squeeze it into his tube every year, green, and my son never ever tries it, which disappoints me, as it is icing. And I always put something in his sneaker, gooey shoey (gello), last year it was a gross soft rubber chicken, and this year, I went simple, I did Tic Tacs ( just because of Tic Tac Toe, but no one of course got that). He had his dad call the number left by Mr. Lyon, on the message, the Philadelphia zoo of course (my son watches a cartoon where a kid with the last name Lyon gets sent to an animal school, so I knew he would like this one). I was disappointed it had snowed, I wanted to crazy glue coins to the driveway, and instead, had to just glue them on the paper message from Mr. Lyon (I am sure however that my DH is happy about that). Two pranks had to wait till Monday, and getting ready for school to be found, the candy fish in the hair gel ( I should have used rubber ones, as they "duh me, dummy" were half disolved), and the green smiley face (permanent marker) on his deoderant. I made sure he saw it ( I put it on him or he doesn't wear it, and believe me you, he needs to wear it), but it would have worked as a prank too, because it did leave green streaks on his underarms. And they didn't figure it out, about the clocks, that night, still clueless, so I told my son it was time to go to bed, and we argued about it, he said no because of what was on TV, so I showed him my clock, he said "so your clock is wrong" so I took him all over the house and showed him every clock, he was unfazed, "well I guess you never set them right for daylight savings". AARrrhhhh! I said "yes I did, all last week we weren't off on our time. Did you get to school an hour early everyday? No, you didn't". Finally the next day, he conceded that maybe it had been a prank. Yes it was, one on me apparently.

Anyway, my son wouldn't let me take any of the pranks down till both of his good friends had been over to see them, the one just came over this past Sunday, and I saw my son walking around with Spongbob's green hat on, while giving the tour, and I thought, well you know what, it was worth it. He did actually enjoy it, and appreciate it, which is a heck of a lot more than I can say about most of the stuff I do for him.

seriously? 12:35? I guess I didn't write that fast after-all. It is now or never for the mill.
I am so pleased the snow has melted away, I don't need to see it again till 08.
" Woman, go work out, or clean, or do real writing, no more meandering on paper." "oh alright". The sun is back. "go!"

No comments: