Wednesday, October 22, 2008

suspected prowler, lack of sleep, jury duty, headache.
writing.

playing All Dressed in Love, by Jennifer Hudson, over and over, while I write.

boring the heck out of Bob, who among other things, can't share my frustration over my inability to grasp all the differences between, commas, colons, and semi-colons. I don't want to use a comma after so, as in meaning therefore.

thinking of how, the words and sentences, spill over, sloppily, like a slobbering St. Bernard dog.

I love scent memories. I just got up to get an apple. I couldn't resist smelling its golden delicious skin. And suddenly there I was, a me of many years ago, standing in the barn on my grandfather's land, peering inside the special wooden room filled with apples. I don't often think about the apple trees, there are so many other things to remember. But these too were part of him, and therefore are also part of me.

Nope. I don't like using the comma with therefore either.

2 comments:

Bee said...

Except for the obvious uses, like separating the words in a list, I think that you should just think of commas as the "breath" (or pause) in the sentence. Sometimes I read my writing aloud; it helps with the rhythm of the sentence.

I am eating some popcorn right now, (never microwave; always freshly popped with oil in a big domed pan), and I mention that because it is one of my favorite scent-memories (lovely thing, that) of my father.

Taffiny said...

Bee,

Thanks. I've decided mostly not to use the colon, as I don't get it. I think I may perhaps understand the semi-colon. Commas and I, we are quite chummy. I'm afraid, I use them like I use salt.

Lovely thing that indeed. Now I am hungry for popcorn, and for making more scent memories, to pass along.